Saturday, May 29, 2010

Episode #1: The actual Start

Hi everyone!
First episode, the actual Start, is finally here :-)
No transcripts before speaking, no text reading, just spontaneous speech.
It could be annoying but this is the only way I can get advantage of this podcast.
So please be patient, hopefully my speaking skills will be improving and we'll all be happy :-)

Here is what I will talk about in this episode:

Techniques

Use spaced repetition technique for vocabulary building. Use Anki, it's a Free software.

Phrasal verbs

- dropping by
"dropping by" means coming over to someone's home or work with little or no notice. They also don't stay a long time.
Thanks to cynhatch for explanation. (I remembered who explained that to me after I've recorded the podcast)

- fall behind
If you fall behind, you fail to do something on time or as fast as necessary.

Vocabulary

- study vs learn
See explanation here: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic132.html

- persuade vs induce
induce: to lead by persuasion or influence. His meditation induced a compromise.
FIXME: need help here
persuade: To successfully convince (someone) to agree to, accept, or do something, usually through reasoning and verbal influence.

- banish vs evict
banish: To send someone away and forbid that person from returning.
evict: To expel (one or more people) from their property; to force (one or more people) to move out.

- last as a verb
last means to continue something for some time
The examination lasted two hours (for two hours)
This winter seems to last for ever

Resources

BBC learning English: face up with phrasal verbs
http://en.wiktionary.org

Miscellaneous

- worth it (not does!) Is it worth it? (not Does it worth it?)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Alexandr,

    I just posted your comment about effortless English on my website and I wanted to check out your podcast. It is a great idea. I think that speaking and recording what you say is a great way to improve your speaking skills.

    I also love the resources you mention (like Anki!).

    Keep up the great work and do keep us posted on your podcast over at http://www.helping-you-learn-english.com

    Cheers,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Diana!
    It's nice to hear that someone found it interesting. After all, that's what inspires you to continue. And I will, I have many things to share with ESL learners community :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alexandr,

    In fact you are such a diligent person. This a usefull way to improve yourself and the others. You will receive many comments which help you to be advanced.

    I like the resources you mention and already download and check them.

    I think preparing the recording material itself will give you a high experience specially in your future studing. Good luck and keep this great working up dear :)

    Mayssa

    ReplyDelete